TrafficRevenue

Content

This weeks email roundup

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wow, the phones have started ringing, and stores we haven't heard from in 3 years are calling. Thats a good sign the industry is coming back.

I haven't had time to answer any emails on Youtube or to talk about consumer questions, but here are some I've been getting in the inbox.

This weeks roundup.


Question:
I have a 2008 Andretti M50 and I'm in need of a complete Throttle Assembly and also the throttle cable assembly. Can I get these the complete Throttle Assembly through MRP? Will you be carrying all the Benelli parts from here on out?
Dealer ACE

A: Yes, we have that part in stock. You can order it from your local dealer. Obviously, we’re not the importer of Benelli, but we have started carrying their parts. I more than anyone understand the frustration in finding parts when a brand switches or changes importers. Actually if you’ll notice since we started carrying their parts finding the parts have been easier because we put them online. We are adding the Benelli part numbers to our items every single day. http://www.martinracingdealer.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=Manuals.htm



EMAIL: Thank you for getting me my starter. I had been waiting 3 months for it but Miguel didn’t know what a Keeway was.
Jessica Contreras, Ft Lauderdale, FL

Thanks Jessica. Some stores aren’t familiar with all the brands. Miguel works at a Yamaha dealership and he had never seen a Keeway made by QJ before. Problem was he was buying generic Chinese parts online and didn’t know not all the Chinese scooters are the same. Fortunately MRP had the OEM Keeway part in stock and we were able to solve the problem. I hardly ever hear when we help people with a part so I appreciate the email. All the best, enjoy the stickers.




QUESTION:
I have a 2006 Cf V5 that has low compression. I was looking at doing a Top end rebuild adn am hunting around on your site looking for parts. Is there a complete kit to convert to a 300cc. I figured maybe better off doing that since i will be in there anyway. Can you let me know what I would need to do this and price it out for me or if there is a link on your website and I am just not seeing it. I know you guys do all the hot rod parts for the V5 I could just use some suggestions. I need the prices so I know what to look like.

A: I would suggest use our web catalog when searching for parts sometimes that’s easier.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/d83097ef

I just emailed you the MSRP prices and part numbers. These are estimated prices dealers do charge for installation, some dealers quote without installation. Be careful some mechanics refuse to install things purchased online and if you buy online and take it to a shop they might charge you more on service. STORES HAVE TO MAKE A LIVING. So don’t get upset at them or blame MRP for this.


QUESTION: I need CPI parts, my local mechanic doesn’t have an account with you. He only buys when he needs parts and says he refuses to buy from anyone with a minimum. What can I do? I really like ____________ been going here for years and its making you look like &*&^

A: I’m glad you have a relationship with your local mechanic, but we can’t base our business plan on that. If he can’t open an account we can’t force him to. You can order the part online from one of our other dealers that do have an account. http://www.martinracingdealer.com/locator/index.php or you can buy it and take it to him and have him install it.

I understand his position I do, but at the same time I’ve dealt with this when I sold vehicles and in other industries. All I can say is the average person will not understand the reasoning behind all this and will only get upset at the person refusing to get him the part. I just say we are more than happy to help you, but you have to go somewhere or call someone who does have an account. We did offer to sell him the part, but with a repair shop account and it was slightly higher than a stocking dealer and he refused.

Not every dealership is meant to be a Parts Unlimited dealer ( they have a $5,000 a year buy in ) the proliferation of Chinese importers that sell retail, wholesale, and to anyone with a dollar like many Chinese has led to more and more “scooter shops” that are Just in Time. In some cases even small stores that act like importers, then you have Chinese manufactures that sell direct to the public.

Some manufactures have started selling direct to the public ( REALLY KILLING DEALERS)

2008 – 2009 was a period of uncertainty in the automotive and powersports industry over 50 car parts distributors closed in the USA, some were swallowed by competitors. The same happened in Scooters, ATVs, UTVs, and the average surviving shop doesn’t quite get what’s happened since all these see is the proliferation of the guy in his underwear sitting at home selling Gokart and Scooter parts online. The truth is the Asian suppliers have only made this worse by selling to anyone and everyone without regard to the stores that pay rent, have employees, and offer real service. Having no end in sight to all this you’ve really seen a high degree of unethical behavior on the part of distributors pushing product and selling to anyone with the cash be it a consumer or small lawnmower shop. Stores trying to buy direct from OEMs bypassing distributors ( OEMs desperate selling to everyone even unlicensed dealers ) motor vehicles being sold at flea markets etc… I’ve seen this all before. I saw it in 2005 in Puerto Rico, I saw it in the scooter boom in Panama. It even happened in Venezuela until Chavez put an end into the importation of inexpensive scooters. The same happened in the USA it’s been a rollercoaster of a ride and all these things have affected not just the actual sales, but the perception of the market.

All it does is make the small shop “believe” everyone should have the same low standards. The truth is without some degree of buy in no dealership would invest in knowing the product or representing it. You cannot sell from a catalog. The same way a hospital can’t sell surgeries without having doctors you need to invest, know what you are doing / selling, and built a shop. You wouldn’t accept this type of mediocrity from your dentist why accept it from the local guy who sells things without ever having purchased one. The internet was not meant to replace the store mechanic.

The end result of the lowering standards in the Powersports Industry is you see more and more repair shops that are guys working unlicensed from a U-Haul or from home selling parts, repairing, and selling online. We try to have standards ( I am fully aware some people don’t I see it everyday in every aspect of life ) but those who hold themselves to a higher degree ultimately do better. You want to go to a shop that knows what its selling. That’s why all the major companies have a buy in and standards. If a dealer can’t invest in factory tools he should be allowed to be a Piaggio service center. Same goes if you don’t know what you’re selling how can I sell you our products?

You have to buy so many cars to be a Ford dealer. Same thing here.

EMAIL: Maven, thanks for the QJ gasket, I had been having a hard time finding that. Swamp Cycles took care of it.
Michael Lee, Orlando, FL

I believe you meant: http://www.swampcyclesmrpstore.com/
Yes they are a dealer in Gainesville, FL and they do stock a lot.




Question:
On the message board they said to contact you regarding sliders Which Sliders do you recommend for my TGB?
David Houston, TX

A: Back in 2003 we started importing cylindrical rollers form Turbo Kit for the TK Variators also known as J Costa. These only work on their specific variators. MRP was the first company to introduce square sliders to the US market back in 2005. We started with Dr Pulley, last year we picked up Scooter Ninja Taiwan and Adige from Italy to round out our selection for 17 X 12 sliders for the TGB line. They are all excellent product you can order from a dealer or online.

THINGS OUT OF OUR CONTROL THIS MONTH

QUESTION:
Question: I paid William ________ the former manager of ___________ for a new Ruckus exhaust. I just went to the store Friday and ts now closed. The landlord says their home number is disconnected. I was told they sent you the money for the Two Brothers exhaust two weeks ago! I would like to be immediately refunded. I’m a member of ________________________I called and left a message with your staff IF IM NOT PAID I WILL MAKE SURE NOBODY BUYS FROM YOU AGAIN
B Baxley, GA

A: B – I got your message, left you a message, got your email, sent you an email. Look we “MRP” don’t own the stores. I am sorry, I saw this happen more last year several times not only on parts but on whole ATVs and Scooters. I would contact the local authorities, but since it was only $300 it’s a small claims matter. I’m happy its happening less because fewer stores are closing if anything more stores are opening and the economy is getting better. Please understand MRP does not own the stores. They are independently run shops, this isn’t a franchise. I already got the phone call from your mom and spoke to her. I understand we don’t charge shops until AFTER something is shipped.

If you go to another shop, we will give you fantastic discount and work with the other store. I emailed you a list of nearby stores. That’s the most I can do. I am truly sorry this happened to you and if you visit Bob the dealer I mentioned he has some extra MRP shirts and I told him to save one for you.




Question:
I’ve called you three times and asked for help installing my cylinder kit. I am extremely upset you give the worst possible customer service! I already overpaid and If I don’t get a call immediately I will tell everyone online never to buy your products.
Jimmy Seattle, WA

A: Jimmy, I replied by email and spoke to you. First off you called and asked what the dealer paid for the part. We don’t talk about that.

Second rule of the MRP club is that we sell to the dealer and the dealer needs to give you support. I forwarded your information to the dealer that sold you the part. Then I spoke to him and explained since the part was damaged we wouldn’t replace it but we would sell him one at cost to help you out.

If he doesn’t help you go to another store or work it out with the dealer, but again you didn’t pay him to install it. I personally would never have sold it to you that way. We don’t own the stores. I’m limited in time and what we can do. If you buy a part from a store and plan on installing it yourself make sure you know what you’re doing, because at this point the store is not liable and I know that’s difficult to understand. Motorcycle Stores are not Best Buy or Walmart where people buy something use it and return it the next day, these are mechanical products.

We don’t sell direct, some people do. If we did sell you the product direct we would offer that level of phone service you’re looking for, but our business plan is to sell to the dealer. The dealer needs to offer you the support and the way he / she chooses to sell the product thats up to them. It is quite possible we are a little backwards when all the other companies obviously don’t give two craps about the retailer anymore and you can buy direct, but Im a little stubborn in my ways when it comes to saying go to a store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com